Terms and conditions
Sam Mehta MA DM (Oxon) FRCS
Consultant Laparoscopic, Upper GI and Bariatric Surgeon St James’s Institute of Oncology
Leeds LS9 7TF
- I can provide an expert medical opinion on cases of medical negligence in the areas of elective and emergency general surgery; laparoscopic (key-hole) surgery for hernia and gallstone disease; anti-reflux surgery (fundoplication); bariatric (weight loss) surgery – gastric band, sleeve-forming gastrectomy and gastric bypass and in cases of major resection for gastric (stomach) and oesophageal (gullet) cancer.
- I will confirm that the case lies within my field of expertise and I will also confirm that there is no conflict of interest in this case.
- I am fully aware of the Civil procedure rules and the contents of the Wolff report and the principles that would be applied to the case
- I have received training in writing medical expert reports by Bond Solon Advocates within the last 5 years. I have given evidence in Her Majesty’s Coroners Court. I am happy to discuss potential claims with solicitors without charge prior to receiving formal instructions. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- I currently charge £200 per hour for completion of a report. I estimate that I can scrutinise 40 pages of photocopied medical notes (inclusive of all lab reports, medical notes, hospital correspondence, GP correspondence, nursing notes etc) per hour and that perusal of notes generally constitutes half the time taken to prepare the report. Using this formula, by scrutinising the volume of case notes, you should be able to estimate total time and hence the cost of preparing this report.
- An interview and examination of your client would be charged at the same hourly rate, but would probably not be required for an initial report.
- My rate for meeting with counsel is £200 per hour plus expenses and for court attendance £1600 per day plus expenses (irrespective of whether verbal evidence is given)
- Late cancellation of cases from out-of court settlement or case withdrawal within 2 weeks of the proposed start of court proceedings would be charged at £800 per day set aside.
- I would undertake to complete the report within 6-8 weeks of receiving formal instruction.
- If you need to see my CV I would suggest sending this in electronic form
- In all cases I expect payment within 30 days of invoice date from you, my Client, irrespective of whether your client has paid you.
- Should accounts not be settled within the agreed period, at my discretion, I have the right to charge interest on unpaid accounts at the rate of 2% a month, or part of a month, until full settlement is received.
- I am not prepared to have my accounts subjected to assessment and look to you, my Client, to fund any assessment deducted relating to the Case, at any time.
- I will use my experience, care and skill in fulfilling your instructions to the best of my ability. Please remember that I am an independent witness.
- Please let me have your full instructions, together with any further relevant information you may have, and confirm your agreement, in writing, to the above terms.
- I will endeavour to produce my report within 6 weeks. For shorter deadlines an additional cost of £200.00 will be charged.